Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Japanese Style Curry.

I love curry, it is one of my favorite foods. Japanese style curry rice, kare raisu, is my favorite. It is a bit more like European/English style stew with curry flavor, not like the Indian curries. In this weeks CSA box I got some wonderful Nantes Carrots, La Soda Red Potatoes, and a Georgia Boy Onion... so I decided tonight was a great night for some curry.



1 1/2 lb beef chuck roast, cut into bite-sized pieces

4 red potatoes, scrubbed and cubed

2 carrots, sliced

1 onion, sliced

3 1/2 cups water

1 3.5oz box curry roux



Add a small amount of oil to a large pot over medium, add beef and potatoes. Brown beef and onions, about 5 minutes. Add water, increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer about 45 minutes. Add carrots and potatoes, simmer 10 minutes. Break up curry roux block and add. Stir until melted, simmer 5 min. Serve over rice.



I often add different veggies I have on hand: celery, peas, bell peppers, etc. Good for using up root veggies. Yummy!

1 comment:

Jennifer Hanson @ Wuthering Iris said...

Oh yum. I am a sucker for all kinds of currys too!