Friday, February 26, 2010

Family Gadgets: The Safety Turtle

Being a mommy, I am always looking for something to make my life a little easier, or simply interested in what gadgets are created for family fun, convenience, and safety. While flipping through my One Step Ahead cataloug, I came across this interesting little gadget that fascinated me.

The Safety Turtle. Place the band around your child's wrist and plug in the base alarm station(the large speaker). If your child happens to fall in the water, when the band is submerged, it sounds a loud alarm through the speaker, working within a range of 100 feet, so you are alerted and can quickly respond.
What a neat device. We had a couple scares with Elisha enthusiastically jumping into the pool at my mother's, which scared the life out of me (you would be amazed how silently little ones can slip into water without you realizing it), and I could see this thing coming in handy for people who have a pool or live near a lake. It would certainly put a anxiety-ridden heart like mine a little more at ease. Upping the response time of getting to your child's aid when you are not glued to their hand or are engaged in a bit of conversation poolside, seems like a good thing to me.
Though at $199.95 for the speaker and one wrist band and $79.95 for each additional wrist band, it would not be worth it to us, since we are pool-less at our own house. But if we did have a pool, with 3 energetic little boys that can get into trouble faster than you can blink, I would perhaps consider choking down the price of a little extra peace of mind and heart.

No comments: